Anina is a born and bred Capetonian. She obtained a Degree in Graphic Design at the University of Stellenbosch in 1995. She worked in the fashion and interior industry both internationally and locally.
Her artworks can be found in collectors homes both locally and internationally.
She has been a finalist in The StateoftheART Awards competition (2018), The Sasol New Signature Competition (Top 100) (2015)The Sanlam Portrait Award(Top 100)(2017) and Art@Africa in Association with Julie Miller Contemporary Art
Womxn Competition 2020 (Top 100)
- September 2023 Ashay – @ArtAfrica Gallery
- August 2023 Different Strokes Group Exhibition – Anna-Klara Fontein
- February 2023 Rugby Group Exhibition – Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- June 2022 Phantasmagoria – RK Contemporary
- May 2022 Autumn Salon -State of the Art Gallery The Grand Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- June 2021 State of the Art Gallery Winter Salon
- May 2021 Art.co.za Takeover
- May 2021 Violent Femme Group exhibition Art. b
- April 2021 Sweet Little Nothings Online Exhibition curated by Christiaan Diedericks People and Paintings Gallery NYC
- April 2021 Sailors and Sirens Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- March 2021 Inner Eden Mok Gallery
- February 2021 Anthropomorphic RK Contemporary
- October 2020 Metsi Lifes Waters Youngbloods Gallery
- October 2020 Home is where the art Zeits MOCAA
- November 2020 Rust-en-Vrede Rescue Exhibition Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- September 2020 Woman who read are dangerous Rust-en-Vrede
- August 2020 Top 100 Allwomxnmatter Competition – Art@Africa in affiliation with the Julie Miller African Contemporary
- August 2020 A Still life Saronsberg Kuntteater
- July 2020 Committee ‘s Choice plus one Art.b Gallery
- Feb 2020 The Grande Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- September 2019 Tulbagh Artbewing Art festival
- May 2018 StateoftheART Gallery Finalist Exhibition
- March 2018 Skin Solo Youngbloods Gallery
- February 2018 Skin Solo Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- June 2017 Skin Solo Youngbloods Gallery
- November 2017 Earthbound Spirit Solo November 2017 Earthbound Spirit Solo
- Youngbloods Gallery
- September 2017 Sanlam Portrait Top 100 Exhibition
- June 2014 Earthbound Spirit Solo Rust-en-Vrede Gallery
- 2011 Sasol Young Signature Finalist
Anina’s works are represented at the following galleries:
I have found my niche in large and small scale portrait and figurative studies which I approach with attention to detail.
I draw my inspiration from ‘ the stuff of life’, womanhood and the different facets of that identity, relationships, childhood, memories and cultural heritage. These themes are sensitively rendered into art that is relatable and accessible to the viewer.
I explore adversities, mistakes, failures and relationships by asking how these experiences might cultivate human growth and spiritual enlightenment.
The internal landscapes that I depict set the scene for an enquiry into the ambiguity of life. The notion that any situation could be a cause for optimism or pessimism – that perception is unique to every individual and is simply one’s interpretation of reality – is a central tenet of my work.
All my work has a strong visual narrative with symbolic elements.
At this stage my work consists of a combination of oil and pen. I combine my love of portraiture, textile design and background in graphic design with clean cut mid century modern elements .The end result is a fascinating contemporary work which portrays the human face with a floral inlay or tattoo. Each work has an accompanying uplifting story that enhances the viewer’s appreciation of the unique work.